Sunday, December 19, 2004

Ararat, Lamont, Singer, and Stone

Dined at Ararat Middle East Restaurant for the first time last night, belly dancers and all. Will definitely be back.

On the much-discussed Lamont article, I suppose I'm more of an optimist. The truth is that I have become published, it did make my life better, and I am a happier person because of it. I've been moving steadily toward making a good living, and I'm certainly intend to make a great one because if that's not part of the goal, odds are, it won't happen. Dream it, achieve it. Bill Gates started out with a dream and a garage. I at least get to write on the daybed. I know there are folks who need a good kick to get them going down the craft road. And it is about craft first, last, and always. But I also know there are those who're just dreamers, and I'm not sure what's so wrong with that. Just by showing up at a conference, they're flirting more with their dream than most people do. Most set them aside or say "someday." Dreams can be scary. So, if they're dancing along the edge of a more self-revealing reality, who am I to judge? I hope they enjoy the dance and gather the courage to cross the line. It's worth it.

Links of interest:

What Makes A Good Young Picture Book? from author Marilyn Singer.

Calling All Teachers!/Peace Project from author Tanya Lee Stone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...