Sneak Peek for 2013 by Sylvia Vardell from Poetry for Children. Peek: "...here is my stab at my annual 'sneak peek' list of the poetry titles that are scheduled to be published in 2013, thus far. Of course this is subject to change with additional titles likely as the year rolls along."
Thoughts on Agents by Varian Johnson from Quirk and Quill. Peek: "There is no such things as a 'dream' agent."
Balance is Overrated by Tara Lazar from Emu's Debuts. Peek: "I’m writing this blog post unshowered, still in my jammies."
Diversity 101: the Transgender Perspective by Cris Beam from CBC Diversity. Peek: "...there aren’t just two genders—there are many shades of expression and identity and the earlier we can support kids who experience this, the better. And they do experience it early."
Young Adult Author Corina Vacco: new official author site features biography, bibliography blog, links, contest(s). Vacco is the debut author of My Chemical Mountain (Random House, 2013) which won the Delacorte Prize.
Congratulations to Valiska Gregory, winner of the Jane Yolen Mid-List Author Grant, from SCBWI.
I Want to Write a Novel: Where Do I Start? by Robyn Vavati from Adventures in YA & Children's Publishing. Peek: "A strong concept suggests a story. It suggests character, plot and theme."
Cover Design 101: The Cover of The Awakening from Lee & Low Books. Peek: "...a couple looked too modern-day urban or romance genre (didn’t quite set themselves apart as futuristic science fiction); another didn’t get the full message of the book across in a way I felt the other concepts did..."
Green Earth Book Award Winners Announced from The Nature Generation. Peek: "...given to authors and illustrators whose books best inspire young readers to appreciate and care for the environment."
Debunking Literary Love by P.J. Hoover from Roots in Myth. Peek: "Step back away from yourself and your perfect relationship for just a second. What are the odds that this guy is the one?"
Review of Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs & the Shaping of American Children's Literature by Leonard Marcus (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008) from Harold Underdown at The Purple Crayon. Peek: "...the story of children's book publishing in the United States from Colonial times to the mid-1990s. It's the only book available on the subject, and it's excellent."
A Path to Publishing: interactive online video chat workshops with editors, agents and authors from literary agent Jill Corcoran.
Celebrate Black History Month
- Day 9: Veronica Chambers
- Day 10: B.A. Binns
- Day 11: Donna Washington
- Day 12: Alice Randall & Caroline Randall Williams
- Day 13: Octavia E. Butler
- Day 14: Ann Tanksley
- and so on...
This Week at Cynsations
- Secret Asian Man: Yoshi Kitahara and Feral Nights
- Follow the (YA) Reader: Feral Nights
- New Releases & Giveaways: Feral Nights, Eternal: Zachary's Story & (Paperback Edition of) Diabolical
- Event Report: Austin SCBWI Regional Conference
|Enter to win book & a signed doodle by the author-illustrator|
|Now in paperback!|
- Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made & signed doodle by Stephan Pastis (CB); eligibility: North America
- signed copy of Feral Nights (Book 1 in the Feral series) by Cynthia Leitich Smith (YA); eligibility: North America
- author-signed copy of Eternal: Zachary's Story by Cynthia Leitich Smith, illustrated by Ming Doyle (YA GN); eligibility: North America
- signed paperback of Diabolical by Cynthia Leitich Smith (YA); eligibility: North America
See also New YA in Stores, 2/16-2/22, plus giveaway of The Canticle of Whispers by David Whitley from Adventures in YA & Children's Publishing.
Happy Launch Week!
|Don't miss this preview!|
|Interview with Cyn on FN|
Feral Nights also is available as an e-book. Vendors that sell Candlewick Press e-books include Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and the Sony Reader Store.
Want to see something really amazing? Take a peek at the art inside Eternal: Zachary's Story at Ming's tumblr and Previewsworld.
In additional last weekend, I served as critique faculty for the Austin SCBWI Regional Conference; see my photo report as well as Joy Preble's and Cory Putnam Oakes'.
|With Michigan author Shutta Crum & our husbands at Maudie's, Too in Austin|
- Austin SCBWI Welcomes New Team
- Advice from E.B. Lewis
- Warning: Two Toxic Areas of Your Writing Life
- What Accent Do You Have? (I have a "midland" accent)
- Kidlit Authors, Illustrators Visit Sandy Hook Elementary School
- A Deleted Chapter from Anna and the French Kiss
- Winners (with Book Trailers) of the 2012 Cybils Awards
- Latest News from the Texas Sweethearts & Scoundrels
From Greg Leitich Smith
- Writers and Illustrators and Dinosaurs: Janni Lee Simner
- Montgomery County Book Festival Report
- Austin SCBWI Conference 2013
- Eternal: Zachary's Story & Feral Nights Now Available
|Come see me in San Antonio!|
Teens! Join Cynthia Leitich Smith at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 at Curt's Cafe in Evanston, Illinois.
Join Cynthia Leitich Smith at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at The Book Stall (811 Elm Street) in Winnetka, Illinois/Chicagoland.
Join Cynthia Leitich Smith and YA debut author E.M. Kokie at "An Evening with Cynthia Leitich Smith" from 7 p.m. to 8:45 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 28 at Alicia Ashman Library (733 N. Highpoint Road), open to the public and sponsored by SCBWI-Wisconsin. Event will include refreshments and giveaways! See more information.
2013 Novel Writing Retreat for Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers will be March 15 to March 17 at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier. Peek: "This year's retreat will feature faculty Cynthia Leitich Smith, Lauren Myracle, and Candlewick editor Andrea Tompa."